Italian Pan Fried Tomatoes, an easy Italian appetizer or side dish. Serve with a side of crusty Italian bread, a few slices of Parmesan cheese and your side dish may become your main dish!
If someone asked me at the beginning of summer what I would be most looking forward to eating, it would be this amazing, delicious, fabulous dish! Pan Fried Tomatoes.
What are the best tomatoes to use for frying?
- Unfortunately we always have to wait until the end of July for Pan Fried Tomatoes because you need ripe plum (San Marzano) tomatoes.
- To tell the truth I actually use any ripe tomato I can get my hands on, but small ripe San Marzano are the Italian’s favourite.
The recipe was given to me by my mother-in-law and I can tell you that most of my Italian friends have never eaten it and when they do they feel the same way about it that I do.
Pan Fried Tomatoes are similar in taste to sun-dried or Oven Dried Tomatoes, but quicker to make and I think tastier too.
More Delicious Tomato Side Dishes
Just the aroma alone is enough to make you grab a piece of Italian crusty bread and go running for the frying pan before anyone else arrives. Needless to say I have many times.
I am not embarrassed to say I make this dish at least 3-4 times a week! Whenever I have Canadian family or friends visiting it is the first dish to go on the table.
Sometimes it is amazing how such a fast, simple, dish can be one the best. Buon Appetito!
Italian Pan Fried Tomatoes, the perfect appetizer or side dish , a quick, easy, healthy recipe. Vegan, vegetarian, low carb and gluten free.
Course: antipasto, Side Dish
Calories: 144 kcal
- 6 plum/San Marzano tomatoes sliced lengthwise and seeded, small
- 2 tablespoons olive oil 30 grams
- 1 teaspoon oregano 1 gram
- 1 teaspoon basil 1 gram
- 1/4 teaspoon salt 1.4 grams
- 2 cloves garlic chopped
- 2 sprigs rosemary (leaves removed and chopped)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil for drizzling 30 grams
- 5-6 leaves fresh basil chopped
- In a medium to large non stick frying pan add 1-2 tablespoons olive oil, place tomatoes in pan cut side up, sprinkle with oregano, basil, salt, chopped garlic and rosemary leaves, drizzle with 2 tablespoons olive oil.
Cover and cook on medium low heat for approximately 10 minutes, remove cover and squish tomatoes with a fork, continue to cook uncovered until all moisture has evaporated and until tomatoes are browned underneath (I love to cook them until they are almost black underneath). Top with freshly chopped basil and serve immediately. Enjoy!
Italian Pan Fried Tomatoes
Amount Per Serving
Calories 144 Calories from Fat 126
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 14g 22%
Saturated Fat 1g 5%
Sodium 150mg 6%
Potassium 220mg 6%
Total Carbohydrates 4g 1%
Dietary Fiber 1g 4%
Vitamin A 16.2%
Vitamin C 16%
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.
Updated from August 10, 2015.
Source: Italian Pan Fried Tomatoes[:]